Tuesday, May 26, 2009

With commuting comes great responsibility

Commuting in the Tri-Cities is not terribly different from commuting in Denver. Sure there are differences, but I get in the bike, wear a helmet and work my way through traffic. Four miles to work and back...very similar here as is was there.

The biggest difference I find so far is balancing bike commuting with responsibility. In Denver I had little on my plate...mostly the keeping the room I rented up and getting to work on time. I had more time to bike. I also had no car in Colorado which made bike commuting more of a necessity.

Now that I am home I find I have to make a greater dedication to a new passion: managing my time better so I can bike commute. Getting to work and back takes about 15 minutes and it is a very direct route. If I have to stop at the store on the way home, however, this adds a couple of miles and more time to my commute.

My home has many more responsibilities as well: A dog, 4 cats and much more...yard, dishes etc. I'm sure you are all too familiar with the work of owning a home.

In the end I find this all a great challenge. I find I could easily use this all as an excuse and sometimes it is all too easy...missing days I could be on a bike.

I am up for this challenge and look forward to managing my time well enough to continue cycling to work and commute.

No comments: