Friday, July 31, 2009

The New Commitment

Do you ever look back and wonder why you started to commute by bike? Was it because gas prices were high, or letting go of a car meant enough to get a bike and start riding? Did you challenge yourself to be more healthy and make a difference in the world you lived in?

I love that there can be so many reasons for getting on a bike and making that commute. It's frustrating I can find just as many reasons not to get on my bike each day.

I started this blog a year ago to record my new adventure in bike commuting. Now I find I am commuting less and still have a passion for using my bike(s) for commuting and recreation.

Originally I got on a bike to save money and because I had the time and ability to ride everyday. I found, too, that as a result of riding all the time I was getting into great physical shape. Now, as I ride less I need to work harder to stay in shape.

So, not to beleaguer my point, I have a new commitment for the buzz commuter: continue to commute when possible, find new ways to get out and ride, never stop riding and dedicate myself to being in the best shape in my life.

Today my wife and I begin a 60-day workout program and I will report my progress here...including pictures. Monday I'm going on a ride in the mountains (I'll have pics on Flickr), and beginning next week I am trying to get a breakfast ride together.

That's it; my commitment to myself and my bike - continue to be a buzz commuter.

2 comments:

Peter Wang said...

The key is building it into your routine. We don't have to renew our commitment to put on shoes; it's just part of the deal. After 6 years, it's hard (and upsetting) to envision going back to 100% car commuting. Hopefully, in TriCities I will be able to do 100% bike commuting all the time. Still working on getting that job.

Anonymous said...

The key is to make the time and set priorities. Like so many people tell me when I worry about the other aspects of life (i.e., household chores), those will always be there. The Riding may not! Enjoy while you have the time and the weather and the energy!